Is It Paleo? Now You’ll Know.
Have you thought about changing your eating lifestyle to the Paleo or Primal diet, only to be overwhelmed by learning all the “rules”? Or if you have been eating Paleo, have you come across something new and exotic in the grocery store only to wonder Is It Paleo? Maybe you’re out on the hunt and wondering if camel meat is legal. Enter Is It Paleo.
Is It Paleo is an iPhone and Android app that my friend Jim Lien (from Jim’s Primal Suit) and I have been developing that is now available on the App Store and Android Marketplace. It’s a pretty nifty piece of software backed by a constantly updating database of paleo/primal friendly foods. Who updates this database to make sure it’s legit? Jim and I search to the end of the interwebs and back, including our research and referenced links with each listed food so you can feel good about eating that swiss chard (eat it, you’ll thank us later).
So what do you get when you pick up Is It Paleo?
1. A simple, searchable index of foods that filters as you type. No need to scroll forever.
2. Food details!
- Is It Paleo? – Three color coded options here for those of you who just want to know – Paleo/Primal. Maybe Paleo/Primal. Not Paleo/Primal.
- Caveats – Instead of listing all the various types of a food, this as a chance to tell you how to prepare them, what to look out for and from which varieties you should steer clear.
- Descriptions – We want to know why the food is paleo, not just that it is. We figured you might want to know too.
- Sources – We want you to be able to do your own research, and also drive traffic to those in the paleo/primal community that already have contributed so much.
- Dates – When the source was first posted, when it was added to our database, and the last date it was modified.
3. Suggestions. Have any foods that you think should be added to our list, or that you aren’t sure of? Do you love Is It Paleo? Do you hate it? Is there some piece of code that would make it more awesome? We want to hear what you have to say. You can add a suggestion directly via the app or you can hit us up on twitter.
4. Syncs to your mobile device. Each time you open Is It Paleo the most current information from the web database will be downloaded and saved to your phone. So even if you are without signal, you are never without your Paleo database. Oh, and did I mention all the updates are free? It’s because we love you.
The Why Behind Is It Paleo?
In my practice I’ve seen many people successfully dive into the paleo lifestyle and have great results. I’ve also seen many discouraged or overwhelmed by trying to begin. In uncovering the difference between those scenarios, I have found that simplicity is crucial for sustainable change. Jim and I are trying to eliminate those “moment of decision” food questions for people by providing a simple and quick answer.
You may remember the Paleo Diet Flowchart that I posted a few months back. The reaction to that post was – and still is – staggering. It was obvious that many health-seekers out there were hungry (pun intended) for this information.
We Need You
We are adding foods as quickly as we can, but we truly want your input to help us grow this database faster with foods you want in it. Since our goal is to do it right the first time, we lean towards being slow and deliberate in expanding our database. When you request foods, they will get top priority.
We also want to continue to improve the app with the features that you want most – so we ask that you make liberal use of the Suggestions button (or click here) so we can continue delivering great value to you.
After having many domestic and international sales in it’s first week, we have already been humbled by the support of Is It Paleo. If you have purchased our app, shared it or even thought about it, Jim and I sincerely thank you. We look forward to hearing from you.
About Cole Bradburn
I'm a writer and doctor in lifelong pursuit of health, happiness, and adventure. I currently live in Raleigh, NC with the love of my life and our amazing boys.